Green Cards - FAQs


Should I carry my Green Card with me all the time?

Legally, yes. You should be carrying it. At minimum, we suggest people to keep a photocopy in their wallet, car or phone. Always having an electronic copy of your Green Card will help you in the future if you lose it.


What should I do if I lose my Green Card?

You need to file form I-90 to replace your Green Card if it has been lost or stolen.


How long does it take to replace a lost or stolen resident card?

We are currently seeing delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we have seen process taking 8 to 12 months and sometimes even longer. A lot of the issues are people who are going to renew their residency cards had to get their biometrics appointments and they were not doing biometrics for three or four months during 2020, so a lot of these cases are severely delayed. You can check the processing times at USCIS’s website to see if you are within the processing time. If you're outside the processing time you can send an inquiry through the USCIS website. They send a response within 60 days to tell you what is the current status of your case and how much longer you can expect your case will take, or if your case is aw with the “currently normal” processing time.


What is the I-751 Form? What are the processing times?

The I-751 form is used to obtain the Permanent Resident Card. The receipt you receive will automatically be listed as 18 months. The reason that the extension is so long is because the processing times on most of I-751 applications are from 12 to 24 months. If you are still married and living with a citizen, you typically would be eligible for citizenship at the 3 year mark of your Green Card. So even if it is still pending, you can still file for your citizenship as long as you filed the 1751 application.


Can I travel with the I-751 extension?

Yes, with your expired Green Card and the extension receipt still valid you can travel even internationally. We always recommend consulting with an attorney prior to traveling.


Can I file the I-751 if I am divorced?

You can still get your permanent Green Card even if you are divorced or separated. There is even an option called Waiver of I751 Joint Signature. It is a waiver asking them to approve your case without spouse or ex-spouse signature. The reason for the divorce can be if you are being a victim of domestic violence or you just fell out of love, it does not matter whose fault this is. You just have to prove that the marriage was originally in good faith. If you are a victim of domestic violence you can still probably get your citizenship in three years based on that abuse and the good faith marriage.

Green Card Attorneys in Orlando

Our Orlando green card attorneys help clients seeking permanent legal residency in the U.S., and renewing their expired green card. We help clients in Orlando, Florida and around the world, in English, Spanish, Portuguese and French. Call us at (407) 502 3000 to setup a consultation. You may also fill out our online form located on this page and we will get back to you shortly. We have a 24-hour emergency service. Your privacy is very important to us and we will keep your information confidential.


Immigration Law