Marriage Visas FAQs

In an effort to help you find as much information as possible, we have compiled some of our clients' most frequently asked questions about marriage visas under US Immigration law. Feel free to browse through them and visit related pages for more detailed information.


Can I Become a U.S. Permanent Resident Through My Spouse?

The simple answer is yes. You may have heard of “green card marriages” through the media or people you know.  “Green cards” is the unofficial term for permanent resident cards. Our Orlando Green Card has handled hundreds of adjustments of status cases and immigrant visa through consular process for spouses of American Citizens or Permanent Residents...(Read more)   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


We just finished the interview process on our marriage and received the “green card” in the mail. Why is it only for two years?

For marriages that are less than two years old, you will receive Conditional Permanent Resident Status. A conditional permanent resident receives a green card valid for 2 years. In order to remain a permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident must file a petition (Form I-751) to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The conditions must be removed or you will lose your permanent resident status.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


What happens if I leave my USC spouse and/or we are divorced prior to the Conditional Resident Card expiring?

IF you are legally divorced, you can file your form I-751 immediately after the marriage has ended.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


We filed my I-751 almost a year ago. I am still married. Can I apply for naturalization based on being married to a U.S. citizen for 3 years?

Yes, but you must be living with the U.S. citizen petitioner. Please note that the average processing time for an I-751 is around 12 months. This is why you’re given a 1-year extension with your I-751 receipt.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


It has been more than 1 year since filing my I-751. I have no proof of my status. Am I allowed to travel?

Yes, but you must evidence your status. This can be done by obtaining a stamp on your passport to evidence your pending application. This can be done by making an InfoPass appointment at the website.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


My U.S. citizen spouse is abusive and/or refuses to sign my form I-751. What can I do?

I am very sorry to hear about such emotional and physical abuse. The good news is you do not have to remain in the relationship or obtain their signature. You will need to request a waiver of the joint filing of the Form I-751 based on the abuse. You will still need to establish the marriage was based on good faith.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


My case was completed on 7/18/2014 at the NVC. How long will it take my spouse to get an interview from the consulate of Suva Fiji Island. I called NVC yesterday and they told me the case is completed, but I never got an email. How long does he have to wait for interview date?

Some consulates provide statistics for processing times, this can be found at   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


I just got my I-130 approved, but I still have immigration court proceedings. I need to file a motion to terminate. Can you please give me the format?

It is best to contact an attorney. The attorney can file a Motion to Terminate. If removal proceedings are not terminated, USCIS will not have jurisdiction on your adjustment application and the case will be denied.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs


My husband is a U.S. citizen, but in school and unemployed. Who can be my joint sponsor for my affidavit of support?

Any individual that is a permanent resident or U.S. citizen that can overcome the poverty guidelines can be a joint-sponsor. There does not need to be a familial relationship to be a joint sponsor.   Back to Marriage Visas FAQs



Contact Our Experienced Immigration Lawyer in Orlando

If you need help with any type of immigration matter including marriage visas or need additional information, please do not hesitate to call us today at (407) 502-3000. You may also fill out our online form and we will get back to you shortly. We have a 24-hour emergency service and can assist you in English, Arabic, Portuguese and Spanish.

Immigration Law