Naturalization Lawyer in Orlando, FL

US Naturalization

Naturalization is the process in which a person that is born outside of the United States obtains U.S. Citizenship. The process is tedious, yet very rewarding. To be eligible, there are a few conditions you must meet before filing.

Naturalization Requirements

You are eligible to file for Naturalization if:

  • You are 18 years old at the time of filing the N-400 application;
  • You have been lawfully admitted permanent residence (Green Card);
  • You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years at the time of filing form N-400; You have  continuously resided* in the US for at least 5 years as lawfully permanent resident prior to filling out Form N-400;
  • You have been physically present* in the U.S. for at least one-half of the required statutory years at the time of filing;
  • You have demonstrated good moral character for at least 5 years prior to the Form N-400 filing date, and the period leading up to taking the Oath of Allegiance;
  • You can demonstrate the ability to read, write, and speak ordinary words used in the English Language (some exceptions apply, e.g., age and disability); and
  • You are able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (some exceptions apply).

What is the difference between physical presence and continuous residence?

Continuous residence is where permanent residents maintain their residency in the U.S. (5 years, 3 years for Spouse of U.S. citizenship applicants). Travel in and out of the U.S. is permitted. However, if you have been outside of the U.S. for a continuous period of more than 6 months, you have broken your continuous residence and should contact an attorney before applying for naturalization.

Physical presence is the accumulation of total time spent in the U.S. for the required statutory period. This is the number of days you have actually been present in the U.S. As noted above, travel outside the U.S. is permitted. However, that time spent out of the U.S. does not count toward the statutory time as it does with continuous period. You can accrue continuous residence while out of the U.S., but it will not be counted towards physical presence.

Contact Our Orlando Naturalization Attorney

Naturalization: For Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Spouses of U.S. citizens are eligible to naturalize within three years of their permanent resident status if they meet the criteria below. The requirements are similar to those of Naturalization. However, required lengths of residency and presence are shorter than the standard naturalization requirements. You may qualify if you:

  • Have been a legally permanent resident for 3 years (Green Card);
  • Have been living in marital union with the same citizen spouse during past 3 years;
  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for 18 of the 36 months in which you were a permanent resident;
  • Have lived in the State in which you are applying in for the last 3 months;
  • Have continuously resided* in the U.S. for at least 3 years as A lawful permanent resident prior to filling out Form N-400; and
  • Meet all other general requirements (Age, Good Moral Character, read/write/speak English, and Pass the Civics Test).

What if I was married to a U.S. citizen, but I left because of abuse, do I apply at 3 years or 5?

  • In many cases, it may still be possible to naturalize within 3 years if the abuse was committed by a U.S. citizen spouse. These cases can be complicated and it is best to contact an attorney for additional guidance.

Naturalization: For Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad, EXEMPTION of physical and continuous residence requirements.

Naturalization is also available for spouses of U.S. Citizens that are employed abroad. You or your spouse may qualify for this if you:

  • Are employed by the U.S. Government (also U.S. Military, or other qualifying employer such as an American firm or Corporation engaged in trade or commerce of the United States);
  • Are a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) for at least 3 or 5 years based on the qualifiers above and are married to a U.S. citizen spouse; and
  • No specific time of residence or physical presence in the U.S. is required to satisfy this exemption.

This is a very nuanced exemption, but extremely beneficial for individuals who would otherwise never meet the requirements. Mubarak Law has handled these types of cases successfully for clients from all over the world. If you are abroad and would like to know if you qualify for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, please contact our office.

Contact Our Experienced US Naturalization Attorney in Orlando

Many clients need assistance with an Arabic or Spanish speaking immigration attorney to help navigate their naturalization case through the complex U.S. immigration laws. Orlando Naturalization Attorney Mubarak speaks English, Arabic, and Spanish. He has successfully assisted clients in Orlando, Central Florida and throughout the country with their Naturalization applications. Experience counts! Check some of our previous results and our client reviews. Please call us today at (407) 502-3000 or fill out our online form located on this page and we will get back to you shortly. We have a 24-hour emergency service and offer a free initial phone consultation. Your privacy is very important to us and we will keep your information confidential.

Contact Us!


Mubarak Law

Mubarak Law
105 E. Robinson St. suite 307
Orlando - Florida 32801
Tel: 407 502-3000
Fax: 407 650-3308